Tulsa Global Alliance is the merged organization of the International Council of Tulsa (ICT) and Sister Cities International of Tulsa (SCIT). The two separate organizations were merged into TGA in 1995. The International Council of Tulsa was started in 1976 by volunteers and the Metropolitan Tulsa Chamber of Commerce. Sister Cities was organized by volunteers under the auspices of Mayor Terry Young in 1986.
As a result of the merger, TGA has been able to remove duplications of effort and strive for greater economies. More importantly, TGA has been better able to tie together the individual program goals of the separate organizations with the broader objectives of Tulsa’s educational, cultural and economic goals. As a stronger organization, TGA has been able to bring its programs to a greater number of people throughout the community and internationally.
Affiliations between cities in the United States and other countries began shortly after 1945 but with no real national focus until 1956 when President Eisenhower initiated the People-to-People Program at the White House. Out of this grew Sister Cities International (SCI). Over 650 communities in the United States are active members of SCI and the numbers are growing rapidly. These member communities are linked through their sister cities with over 2,100 sister cities in 121 countries throughout the world. The City of Tulsa designated TGA as the organization responsible for managing Sister Cities activities. TGA is very fortunate to have ongoing support from the Mayor’s office and the City Council.